At Wise Owl we have lots of birds and animals including:
- Guinea pigs
This has huge benefits for the children:
- Children learn that animals deserve to be treated with care and respect. Understanding an animal’s boundaries and body language are important and that learned respect translates to respecting other people.
- Recognizing a pet’s needs and comforting them helps children learn how to feel the way others feel, becoming more empathetic.
- By participating in the care of an animal a child learns good habits. They learn accountability and that they are depended upon by a living thing. This also helps children develop a conscience.
- Animals are non-judgmental. Children know that no matter how bad of a day they are having, an animal is always there to “listen” and be a source of affection.
- Appreciation of nature: Through animals, children gain insight into wild and domestic animals. By observing their behaviour, children learn about animal instincts and intelligence. There is so much to discover about wildlife, that children exposed to nature develop a sense of wonderment and appreciation for life on Earth.